Pear & Hazelnut Salad Recipe
Here’s a fresh, colorful and guilt-free recipe to “wow” your friends and family on Thanksgiving. Enjoy blending together these beautiful and unique ingredients to create a delicious salad full of flavor and texture. Bon Appetit!
Pear & Hazelnut Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1 head organic red leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn into pieces
1 firm organic ripe pear, cored and sliced thin
½ small red onion, sliced into thin rounds
1 cup organic roasted hazelnuts
½ cup crumbled organic feta cheese, optional (or blue cheese)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup fresh organic cranberries
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 to 4 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon organic orange zest
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Place all of the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
2. To make the dressing, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the 2 teaspoons olive oil and sliced shallots.
3. Sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft. Add fresh cranberries and continue to sauté until the cranberries are soft and have “popped”.
4. Place shallot and cranberry mixture into a blender with the orange juice, remainder of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, orange zest, and sea salt. Blend on high until creamy. Add a few tablespoons of water for a thinner consistency and blend again.
5. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
~Courtesy of The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre, MS, CN