Grilled Zucchini Roll-ups Recipe
Discover this unique and fresh summertime vegetable-rich dish. It showcases one of the most ancient and traditional spice blends in the world. Enjoy!
Grilled Zucchini Roll-ups
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cooking Time: 4-6 Minutes
Makes: 20-24 roll-ups
5 medium zucchini
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
½ cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
¼ cup dried sumac
3 tablespoons dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1. To make the za’atar, in a bowl, stir together the sesame seeds, sumac, thyme, and oregano. Set aside.
2. To make the roll-ups, cut the ends from the zucchini and slice in strips lengthwise, about 1/8 inch thick. Save the end strips, with rounded edges, for another use. Rub a few pinches of salt into the zucchini flesh.
3. In a bowl, stir together the yogurt, tahini and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
4. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Lay the zucchini on a baking sheet, brush lightly with the olive oil, and season with pepper.
5. Grill about 2 minutes per side, until softened. Return the zucchini slices to the baking sheet.
6. Once the zucchini slices have cooled slightly, brush about 1 tablespoon of the yogurt mixture lengthwise down the middle of a zucchini slice and generously sprinkle about ½ teaspoon per roll-up of za’atar on top.
7. Add a pinch of fresh thyme leaves. Starting from one of the narrow ends, roll up each zucchini slice. Garnish with a few sesame seeds and serve at room temperature.
~ Courtesy of The Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte