Grilled Tofu with Chimichurri on Toast Recipe
A nutritious and enjoyable meal to prepare when you have extra time to spend in the kitchen and are feeling adventurous. The marinade is the secret to this flavorful summertime dish. Enjoy!
Grilled Tofu with Chimichurri on Toast
Prep Time: 2 hours (includes marinating time)
Makes: 4 servings
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
15 oz firm tofu (non-GMO), drained, cut into four pieces, and pressed*
Canola or safflower oil, for grill
4 slices whole-grain bread
1. Combine red onion, parsley, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a bowl; season with salt.
2. Reserve 1/2 cup sauce for serving.
3. Marinate tofu at room temperature in remaining sauce, basting occasionally for 1 hour.
4. Combine avocado and cucumber in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. Squeeze lemon over salad and drizzle with oil, gently toss to combine.
6. Heat a grill (or grill pan) to medium, lightly oil hot grates.
7. Lightly brush bread on both sides with marinade.
8. Grill until crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
9. Grill tofu until lightly charred, about 4 minutes per side.
10. Serve on bread drizzled with reserved sauce and with avocado salad on the side.
*Pressing Tofu: Arrange tofu on a baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels, then top with another double layer of paper towels and another baking sheet. Weight with a heavy skillet or canned goods to press out excess liquid, about 20 minutes.
~ Courtesy of Clean Slate A Cookbook and Guide by The editors of Martha Stewart Living