Green Bean & Mustard Seed Recipe
Here’s an exciting and unique take on your traditional green bean medley. This fresh seasonal side dish is full of wonderful nuanced colors and flavors. Enjoy!
Green Beans with Mustard Seeds
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Fine-grain sea salt
9 oz organic green beans, trimmed
2 teaspoons neutral-tasting oil
1 ½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
1 small onion, minced
2 small green chiles (stemmed, seeded and minced)
1 clove garlic, minced
A couple handfuls of baby kale or spinach leaves
1. Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water from the tap. Set aside.
2. Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil, then salt the water liberally.
3. Blanch the green beans until bright green, then transfer them to the ice water bath.
4. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
5. Fry the mustard seeds, and once they start to pop and fizzle, stir in the onion and chiles.
6. Keep cooking and stirring until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Drain the green beans, add to skillet, and cook the vegetables until tender-crisp (2 to 5 minutes depending on how the beans are cut).
9. Fold in the greens and serve.
~Courtesy of Seven Spoons by Tara O’Brady