Creamy Mushroom Pasta & Frizzled Leeks Recipe
Springtime comfort food at its best, this savory recipe is satisfying and packs a nutritional punch. Enjoy!
Creamy Mushroom Pasta With Frizzled Leeks
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
20 ounces mushrooms (crimini, button, or a mix) cleaned, stemmed & diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 organic leeks, white and light green parts
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup dry white wine (or vegetable stock)
¾ cup organic heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Freshly grated nutmeg
12 ounces whole grain spaghetti
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Zest of 2 organic lemons
½ cup chopped organic flat-leaf parsley
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add mushrooms and salt to the dry pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has released from the mushrooms and they have reduced to half of their volume (about 10 minutes).
4. While the mushrooms cook down, prepare the leeks. Clean and slice the leeks into thin half moons.
5. In another pan, warm the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks, pinch of salt, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
6. When the mushroom pan is nearly dry, add the wine (or vegetable stock) and stir for another minute. Cook for two minutes to reduce.
7. Add the cream, thyme, red pepper flakes, a grating of nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon salt and simmer for 5 minutes to cook down.
8. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Add ¼ cup of the pasta water, half of the Parmesan, the lemon zest, and noodles to the sauce in the mushroom pan and toss to coat.
9. Turn off the heat and add pasta water as needed to distribute the sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
10. Top each portion with a scoop of the leeks, more Parmesan, and a generous handful of parsley. Serve immediately.
~Courtesy of The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon by Sara Forte